Re: Jim's tree root entanglement

In a message dated 6/1/99 10:30:49 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
sholtzma@sunflower.bio.indiana.edu writes:

<<  My main
 fear with this experiment is that the pots will somehow affect how the
 freeze/thaw cycle will be, in the months of dormancy. >>

Hi Stacy,
Well, I purchased some plants late last fall, young plants, and rather than
try and plant them, I just dug holes and shoved the pot and all in the
ground. I tried to have the soil level in the pot level to the ground. All
Hosta came thru not problem. ALSO, I left Fragrant Bouquet with an
underplanting of H. venusta out all winter in a very large pot and again had
no problem.  Now I live in Buffalo, NY so unless you are further North, of
have more severe winters, you should be OK.  Not that this is the "Best"
planting/overwintering method, but they are rugged plants.

Lori Johnson