Re: request for advice---Buying the Top Twenty

In a message dated 6/2/1999 6:39:43 AM Central Daylight Time,
ranbl@netsync.net writes:

<< the "top twenty" may not be the
 best goal.  The reason is, that the poll is drawn from (by necessity)
 the whole nation.  >>

Rob & All,

I agree with Ran. My suggestion is to buy hostas that are new in the trade.
(Of course, there are some on the Top Twenty that everyone should grow. But
out of 3000+ members of the AHS only a small percentage respond to the
request of listing their favorites.) Some of the newer introductions are
pricey---but worth the investment. In 3 or 4 years you can make some good
Also, when you get to know a lot of hostanuts, you will find they are a
generous bunch. Someone will GIVE you a division of, say, Sum and Substance
or Halcyon or many of the others on the Top Twenty. That list is really not
representative of what the vast majority of hosta gardeners consider to be
the best. I think it should be abandoned, actually. It is terribly misleading.

Be sure to get catalogues from all of the growers.

Best wishes,

Clyde Crockett z5