Re: "Correctly" Labeled Hostas in the Garden

Cindy LUV ..with regard to finding parentage of sports, the hosta document known as 'Hosta Wheels 1999' provides data related to those varieties, which are residents of the same clan (sister plants) mutated within a given species/variety, if this is any help to you?  Hybrids (seedling derivative varieties) are not on this document.
                Some of the Wheels Committee people are working their butts off literally, to have the most recent update available at Convention next week.  As an example, Jim Hawes sent me a quadzillion corrections, which took me a week to sort out, so you can imagine the time he must have spent in his cross-checking and putting it out as hard copy.  Bill Meyer and crew, are working on having a color wheel graphic visual ready for release at Convention, which will be a big help to classify actual hosta leaf colors -- dunno if this is ready to go?  Preston Littleton is updating the website www.hostasports.com

When making labels, I personally, like to know the "leaf vein count" of a given plant as well as the floret color, to be right on the label.  BTW way, I'm using trashed bicycle spokes, stuck through a pieces of aluminum sheet as labels and using an electric engraver to write data on this sheet metal.  Bicycle spokes don't rust and frost heave does not throw the wire out of the ground.  Mind you ..my hosta hobby is growing seedlings primarilly, so labels which last forever are important for me to keep track of thousands separate seed batches accumulated over time.

Cindy ..it would be interesting to know, if anyone has actually documented all hostas with the information you are looking for? ..I haven't, but hope this email helps in your work.

WiN =

At 01:23 AM 6/20/99 -0400, Cindy Johnson wrote:
>Hello all you hosta lovers,
>
>I'm making new labels for my hostas and I'd like to hear what everyone wants
>to see on labels.  Examples:  just the variety name, genus and variety name,
>variety name and year hosta named and by whom, variety with year hosta was
>registered and by whom, any awards won, parentage, etc, etc.  I like to see
>some info besides just the variety name, but then where do I FIND this info?

>Thanks for any and all input,
>Cindy Johnson
>White Bear Lake, MN
>zone 4a