Re: Tim, more alfalfa thoughts

<<Hi Tim,
 I thought of another possibility using alfalfa. If you can get alfalfa meal
 which hasn't been high heat treated, you could use that ( about a cup around
 med hostas, more for the very large sizes)>>

In the fall you can also buy Alfalfa hay, I use it as a winter mulch now and again and the plants respond nicely.

It of coarse comes in a hay bale, should work well as a summer mulch too if your into that kind of thing.

Breaks down fast thus releasing the active PGR's (Tricontanol- spelling is incorrect) that make it effect as a growth enhancer in other plants.

One year I used a bale or two to cover my peonies and they were larger and the foliage was a darker color.