photo equipment--many thanks

HI All---Wow!! I never expected the avalanche of responses to my query about photo equipment.  Thank you all very much.  The strong consensus is that digital IS the way to go if a person is making their initial purchase of equipment.  Complicating my situation is the fact that I already have a  35 MM Minolta SLR that is a better camera than I am a photographer. I also have several good lens and a tripod. I may end up staying with the SLR camera, spend a hundred bucks on a scanner and play around with that for a while.  Anyway, I really appreciate everyone's help.  Thanks again.

Hank Zumach
Stoddard, WI
zone 4B