fertilizer application rate

Hi All---I purchased a bag of 17-17-17 encapsulated fertilizer from the local farmer's cooperative.  I am unsure of what quantity to use on my hostas.  Could anyone offer me advise on what specific amounts, either by weight or by volume to apply to large, medium and small plants?  The cooperative said to use about an ounce per hosta but I'm not sure they even know what a hosta is or how much size variance there is within the genus.  Your Assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Hank Zumach
Stoddard, WI
zone 4B