Re: electricity

In a message dated Tue, 28 Mar 2000 10:10:38 AM Eastern Standard Time, RonnieEA@aol.com writes:

> Cheryl - A watt is a watt is a watt ..The difference is a florescent light
> gives of a much more even light and perhaps even more light per watt than
> incandescent lighting - therefore you may use fewer lights .

Light output is based on lumens and measured in lux, when figuring the cost one must take in to account light output verses watts.

Incandescent light convert a lot of watts into heat which is given off by the bulb, while florescent lights are cool but the transformer uses watts in converting the electrical current.

If you do not mind, what I have found to work the best for me when it comes to growing plants inside.  Use one of the four bulb florescent shop lights and put a reflective skirt around it to bounce any stray light back to your plants.

Grow-lights and other such type bulbs are not worth the cost.

The best light output from an artificial source for most plants comes from a sodium bulb- but they are expensive to install and operate- but they do keep inter-nodal lengths short and produce good root growth.