Re: fertilizing hostas // soil testing

In a message dated 3/30/00 10:09:22 AM Central Standard Time,
sussextreeinc@ce.net writes:

<< Aim for a pH of 6.5 for hostas. I think the jury may still be out on the
 perfect pH for hostas and it may even vary among species and cultivars.
Is anyone aware of  any research on optimum pH?  A friend on mine who works
for one of the largest rose growers in the midwest has told me they reduced
pH from 6.0 to 5.0 and have seen great increases in production (of course
they are growing in a soiless medium-Coir, and roses aren"t hosta).  Dan,
also agree with your comment on phosphorus, as it does not leach from soil as
readily as nitrogen, especially in clay soils like mine.  I have started
using Nutricote time release 20-7-10 as a result,rather than a more balanced

Dave Drum
Wayzata Mn
Zone 4