Re: World Census/WE TAKE ALOT FOR GRANTED

     Subj:  World Census

  A Thought For the Millennium:
  If we could shrink the earth's population to a
  village of precisely 100 people, with all the
  existing human ratios remaining the same, it would
  look something like the following:

  There would be:
     57 Asians
     21 Europeans
     14 from the Western Hemisphere, both north and south
     8 Africans

     52 would be female
     48 would be male

     70 would be non-white
     30 would be white

     70 would be non-Christian
     30 would be Christian

     89 would be heterosexual
     11 would be homosexual

     6 people would possess 59% of the entire
       world's wealth and all
     6 would be from the United States
     80 would live in substandard housing
     70 would be unable to read
     50 would suffer from malnutrition
     1 would be near death;
     1 would be near birth
     1 (yes, only 1) would have a college education
     1 would own a computer.

  When one considers our world from such a
  compressed perspective, the need for acceptance,
  understanding and education becomes glaringly apparent.

     Phillip M. Harter, MD FACEP
     Stanford university, School of Medicine