Re: Peter Ruh Correspondence #4

LemkeIowa@aol.com wrote:
RE:>>I enjoy this pursuit of knowledge.  A constant sifting of the wheat from
the chaff.

Hi Marvin,
Your posting brings to mind some of the joys and frustrations that I have had in
my 17+ years
of providing technical support services to accounting systems clients.  If
owners of businesses
had any idea how much of the cost of a software system is due to the need to
provide input masks
to keep data clean it would absolutely floor them.  Of course, we've have fields
for years that prevent string input into a numeric field, but you can't believe
what garbage people will put into a unique index key and then want you to fix it
after the damage has been done, and telegraphed throughout the system.    I've
seen invoice numbers (an alpha numeric field) of 000000, or --X001, or 56 123
(that's a space in the second position) and then they wonder why they can't find
these orders/invoices.

One of the reasons that I respect your efforts, and those of W. George Schmid's
so much, is because of the attention to detail.  Not that there aren't loads of
other folks who make great contributions in other ways, because there most
certainly are.  (I try to provide them accolades, too, from time to time and
rightfully so).   However, when I get my hands on a new "Lemke's Master List"
each year, somehow I just feel a calm come over me from having access to the
best of the best.   If I want to know whether it's H. 'Allen P. McConnell' or H.
'Allan P. McConnell', then I just go to my Lemke's Master List.  Allan would
like that you help keep his name straight.

It is comforting that you are there, "sifting the wheat from the chaff".

826 and counting?  Why you rascal!  And you know where each and everyone is
located!!!  You are indeed an awesome human being and if you were to give a
class on database administration, you'd have God himself taking notes.  (or is
that "herself"?)  :-)

Andrew Lietzow
#1 Plantsman at http://hostahaven.com
1250 41st St