Re: chimera pdf file

> > It was a xerox copy that CH scanned in for me and made into a pdf file.
My version is readable when printed out from my laser jet printer.  Maybe
zipping the PDF caused a further decrease in the resolution??
> Hi Kevin
> I would be more inclined to think it lost quality from being scanned
> than being zipped.

Hi Folks,
      I had a lot of trouble downloading it using Adobe Acrobat Reader 3.05
I had to upgrade to 4.05 to get it. This can be done by visiting the Adobe
web page. I then read the help files and it says there that you can copy the
text or the graphics to other documents. The text can be copied into a word
processor and the graphics into a graphics program. Don't try though, this
one was copied into Adobe Acrobat as a graphic.
The text is what you get if you scan text and save it as a .jpg. It was
copied at a large size and you are looking at it reduced to fit the screen.
These enlarge/reduce tools greatly distort graphic files. They could work
better, but the better they worked the slower they would be. The fonts are
therefore converted to graphics and not usable as anything else. I don't
know how Acrobat creates a file, but apparently it does something like OCR
on the text and converts it into text that can be manipulated, then saves
the graphics in some other form. To test this, check for what fonts are used
in the document. None show. Then check another .pdf like the help files and
the fonts will be listed.