Origin of Sports Discussion

> Why dont you accept my greenedge to a yellow plant as proof? Mit
> rec gives a very good explanation for the observation,. This is not a
> bold statement just a conclusion of an experienced geneticist
> based on observation of the phenomenon. If someone thinks I am
> wrong he must offfer an alternative, that is the way science works.
> My conclusion is based on all the data in my booklet especially
> the SEQUENCE of  sports.  If someone really wants confirmation
> of a fellow american ask Kevin Vaughn He is the only one with
> experience in both genetics and Hosta
> Ben J.M.Zonneveld

Dr. Zonneveld,
       I am not a scientist, so I'm not aware of the rules under which
scientists must describe their research, theories, opinions, guesses, etc.
Anyone can see, however, that you are simply stating your opinion here. I
don't know enough about the liklihood of mitotic recombination being the
cause to estimate your chances of being right, but you have to admit it's
only a guess on your part. It is precisely because of your background in the
sciences that you are obliged to make it clear that you are only guessing,
and not teaching us what is has been discovered through scientific research.

>Yes and compared with meiotic rec,  mit rec is rare and is often enhanced
>by radiation, an experiment I always do with my students.

     Are you saying here that in your classes you perform an experiment with
your students in which you induce mitotic recombination in plants with
radiation? If so this would seem an excellent opportunity to prove your
detractors wrong. I'm sure one of the Dutch nurseries would supply material
(all-gold hostas) for you to have your class experiment on. Why not switch
hostas for the plants you are using and induce m-r in them? If a reasonable
sample of them develop green edges you will be proven right in the eyes of
the world. I for one will cheerfully say so. The hosta world and the greater scientific
world would benefit from your achievement.
>Mutations can also be divided into two types: nuclear mutations that
inherit via both parents, and cytoplasmic mutations i.e., in the DNA of
chloroplast or mitochondria that only can be transmitted via the mother
(seedparent). If a leaf changes from green to yellow it can be caused
indirectly by a nuclear mutation (as is usually the case in hostas) or
directly by a mutation in the chloroplast DNA. So the fact that the
chloroplast is in the cytoplasm does not mean that a change in its color
always gives a non-mendelian inheritance. On the contrary in hostas the
change from green to yellow is nearly always due to a nuclear mutation.
Without mutation there is no variegation.
    In  the above section of your article you define the cause of a change
from an all-green hosta to an all-yellow hosta as being "nearly always due
to a nuclear mutation." I have never seen this type of sport occur, and do
not believe one was ever recorded. I have asked others this question and
have yet to hear anyone say that they have observed this phenomenon. You are
saying here that you have classified most of the ones you know of as nuclear
mutations. Have you seen this occur? Have any of the others reading this? I
remind you that you are the one who stressed the importance of the sequence
of sporting.
>.  If someone really wants confirmation
>of a fellow american...
      I think I can speak for all of us in this discussion that the
implication that we are nationalists for disagreeing with you is unpleasant and
only serves to weaken your case.

.........Bill Meyer