Re: copyright?? on library photos

bob wrote:

> Hi everyone
>         To add to this I for one don't mess with patented plants. What is the
> use if you can't do anything with them. Few would buy patented plants
> that are double or triple the price of others.

I'm not advocating patenting plants, just pointing out that there is a legal way of
keeping control.  And your example is just one business model.  Patenting doesn't
necessarily mean that the plants have to double or triple the cost.  If a plant is
good enough to sell in large quantities for years, another Patriot or Sagae, the
originator doesn't necessarily have to charge a huge royalty to profit.  A 25 cent
royalty on 'Patriot' could have made someone a lot of money without significantly
affecting the cost.

The fact that you can't divide the plant may stop you from buying it, but in the great
scheme of things, the number of plants you buy, any of us buy, is not terribly
significant.  The big growers, the ones who spend a lot of money to buy a lot of
plants, have no interest in dividing.

You don't even have to patent a plant to keep control for a little while.  If the
plant is good enough, you can talk a lab into giving you a royalty as long as they
have exclusive control for a reasonable time.  You just have to decide what's best for
you before you sell the first plant, because once you sell one for big bucks you have
to assume that it's probably headed for the lab.

Chick