Re: copyright?? on library photos

Ransom Lydell wrote:

> All
> I am getting a real smile from all the worry about the use of pictures on
> the internet.

What do we have here?  An old line, law and order conservative flaunting the
copyright laws?  Well I'll be damned. Come on Ran, taking good pictures is a lot
of work, and pretty expensive too.  We have literally thousands of dollars
invested in cameras and scanners, not to mention the cost of film and
processing.  Taking my pictures without asking is stealing, plain and simple.
To just use someone else's pictures without permission is no more legal or moral
than those nasty old Chinese copying Bill's software without paying him.  It may
not rate quite so high on the scale of damage done, but in my opinion, it is
exactly the same.  There are lots of plants on my site that I don't have
pictures of yet, and I know that I would sell a lot more if I could show people
what they look like.  But if I don't have a picture of a plant, and I can't get
one from someone else to use WITH PERMISSION, I do without.

> If you are one that posted pictures , did you take them of
> any plants, not your own?  Don't tell me you did that, did you ask the plant
> originator first?  I bet not!!!  I have struggled for year, with a real
> problem of how to keep others from taking plants I originated, and selling
> them with out crediting or paying me.  simply can't be done.

Sure can!  Patent them.  Without a patent, I don't see how you can expect people
to pay you for selling plants that you originate any more than you or I send a
check to Tony every time we sell an 'Abba Dabba Do'.  Unless you patent them,
the plants that you originate are no different from those that everyone else
originates.  You don't pay them and they don't pay you.  That's the law, the way
it's always been, and unless you can show me that you compensated the
originators of the plants you've sold, I don't see where you've got a bitch.

> If I place
> them in the public domain, ---well they are in the public domain!  Any
> picture I have placed any where on the internet, is avaliable to anyone who
> wants to use, with out asking.  I will feel free to use others pictures in
> the same spirit.

You can do it because no one will pay a lawyer to stop you, but you'll never
convince me that it's ethical.  And it's certainly not legal.  You are wrong,
wrong wrong.  I don't care how you justify it, taking what belongs to someone
else without permission just doesn't pass the smell test.  What kind of society
will we have if people just ignore the rules when it suits them?  Anarchy, I
tell you!  Chaos in the streets!  Bill Clinton for President!

Your law and order liberal friend,

Chick