American Gardener magazine

Hi everyone
	If you would like to help this person out please write to her directly
or to the list if you don't mind or to me and I will forward it.
Thanks

Subject:
        help with hosta article, please
  Date:
        Thu, 08 Mar 2001 17:01:27 -0500
  From:
        Carol Wallace <gardenwriter@mindspring.com

I have been asked to write an article on hostas for The American
Gardener magazine. They, of course want an article that will be useful
to gardeners everywhere,  and I fear my own experience is limited to
growing hostas in northeast Pennsylvania. I would really appreciate if
you might provide me with some information about hostas in your area of
the country. I lived in Iowa for three years but didn't garden - but I
am fully aware of how dismally cold it can get!

Specifically what I need to know are the answers to these questions:

1. What are the biggest challenges a hosta grower in your area  faces?

2. Which  hostas do best in your area - please name names!

3. What do you consider to be the 3 best hostas introduced in the past 5
years.

And as a kicker - why, in your opinion, with so many varieties if hostas
already on the market, do breeders keep creating new ones?

My absolute deadline for submitting the story is March 25, which leaves
me in something of a rush - so of you find that you don't have time to
give this matter your
attention I would really appreciate it if you would forward this to
another expert on hostas from your area.
Thanks
Carol Wallace

--
Virtually Gardening