Re: American Gardener magazine

In a message dated 03/08/2001 5:58:14 PM Central Standard Time,
bobaxe@sbtek.net writes:

 Specifically what I need to know are the answers to these questions:

My area is Minnesota:

 1. What are the biggest challenges a Hosta grower in your area faces?

They get very large.
 2. Which Hostas do best in your area -- please name names!

Almost all of them grow well-just a few have struggled, over the years I have
had about 600 varieties, and it would be easier to list the ones that have
not done well than the ones that do best.

'Uza No Mai' has been my biggest (wink) disappointment. Not as winter hardy
as it could be.
'Snowcap' and 'Color Glory' are two others that are a duds for me.
'Pizzazz' is another.
 3. What do you consider to be the 3 best Hostas introduced in the past 5

Hard choice again:
This comes down to personal taste and I will keep my answer to those that
appeal to a wider circle than my self.

'Pandora's Box'
'Robert Frost'
'Fried Green Tomatoes' and 'Fried Bananas' and Guacamole'
'Regal Splendor'

There are many more, but I will limit my self to the above three choices.

 And as a kicker -- why, in your opinion, with so many varieties if Hostas
 already on the market, do breeders keep creating new ones?

Same reason people keep righting new books.