Re: Hosta College Sale

Hi Betty, how did you do on your second judges clinic test?
I think I passed that one!
I had a great time and really enjoyed all of the classes I took.  Everyone was great. I think the sales must have been good, I'm now broke.  It was so nice meeting some of you, just wish I could have met more.  I sure hated missing meeting ShadyGuy.  ;)
I can't wait to start putting into practice what I learned.  This spring and summer will be busy.
I congratulate everyone who made Hosta College 2001 possible, you did a wonderful job.  Each year I leave thinking it can't get any better, but it does.
Thank you all for all of the time and hard work you put in.  Every bit of it is well
worth it.
Sam I Am

Good evening, everyone!
Just got back from Hosta College and I think it was better than ever.
Great classes! And I got to meet a few of our fellow hosta lovers.
Ken Marek gave a great talk tonight about the finish of his move last summer
with 1400 hostas.  It was great!  Seems that he still has a hard time
considering additional hostas.  They had new judges clinics this year and
they really go a long way toward   standardizing  things.
 The time spent putting the presentation must have been incredible.
As you all know, several of our members were selling and the plants were
great.  In some areas, you could hear conversations about the photo issue,
but  most of the problems were not vented to the whole crowd.  A surprising
number of the attendees still do not use the internet.

It certainly gave an aura of spring as you watched box after box of hostas
being carried out to the cars.  The classes seemed to go quickly and they
just keep getting better.
But it sure is great to be back home.....Then I tried to catch up on all that
went on for the last few days and read about the snow that hit our members on
the East coast.  I sure hope that things have cleared up for you.  Patty,  I
hope you did not have seedlings that got hurt...not to mention the trouble
for you and your family with such a long power outage..  I do hope that this
is your last storm for the year.
  It seems that all gardens in region 4 were hurt by the early winter.  I do
wonder if it will affect the hostas.  They were already down, but have no
idea if that implied full dormancy.  But the ivies, trees and evergreens  are
going to have a rough recovery this year.
 It was fun to see all the new tissues released this year.  As you might
guess, some of them are now on my kitchen table.  The variegation and the red
petioles were certainly improved.  If this is an indication of what the
National will be like, we are in for a spectacular year.  Many people were
staying tonight and I would imagine they will be chiming in very soon.  I do
hope that sales were good.  It seemed that there were more books for sale
this year.  Mark was there signing his new book as well as Jim Wilkins.  I
would like to see more of our members writing about their gardening
adventures and crosses.  Doug Beilstein had a great class about seed to seed.
 It makes me appreciate all of your efforts more than ever.
His pictures of seedlings were truly awesome and the information gave a bit
of an insight into what all of you are doing.  My thanks to everyone who
helped  make this a great weekend.
I hope someone else writes about their adventures at Hosta College 2001.