Re: yellow leaf = nuclear encoded

zonneveld wrote:

> The whole debate is a mess now.I cannot spend all my time
> correcting those statements that are not according to general
> genetic knowledge. This is my last attempt to get order:
> 1. Both pollen and eggcells contain a nuclear genome
> 2.  In Hosta we have chloroplast genomes in the eggcells , but not
> in the pollen , so chloroplast genomes can only go to a seedling via
> the mother= eggcells ( = cytoplasmic inheritance)
> 3. One of my first controlled crosses was to bring pollen of a fully
> yellow leaved hosta onto a green mother plant. 50 % of the ofspring
> was yellow This clearly proofs that yellow in hosta is a dominant
> nuclear character .If we cannot agree on this it is pointless to
> continue
> Ben J.M.Zonneveld
> Clusius lab pobox 9505
> 2300 RA Leiden
> The Netherlands
> mintemp-16C(5F)
> Zonneveld@RULbim.LeidenUniv.NL
> Fax: 31-71-5274999

 Origin of Sports Discussion Followers,

From reading Ben Zonneveld's post of this AM, it appears he is frustrated
because it seems to him that readers have not accepted his explanations
for mode of inheritance for yellow hostas. He is obviously referr, ing to
my post of Friday last titled Yellow Hostas. The brief  summary of the
literature review  presented on yellow hostas was taken almost verbatim (
as best I could summarize) fromtVaughn's studies reported in AHS Bulletin
11 ( 1980) and 13 (1982). If Ben Zonneveld does not understand what
Vaughn has described and reported, then this is not my fault or
responsibility. Today's post from Ben appears to be  an attempt to
educate us about the one of two EXCEPTIONS which Vaughn mentions,
regarding the mode of genetic control that has been determined by Vaughn
and other research workers which he cites.

But this is not the principal issue under discussion here. This review of
literature was to try to describe in summary form  the background of
research work already done. The next step to be discussed is the proof
that is required to demonstrate that somatic crossing-over of chromosomes
represents a major mechanism in hostas which contributes to the origin of
variegated sports. Ben raised the issue of twinspots ( greenish  or
greyish in color)  on a yellow background leaf in tobacco AS PROOF  that
mitotic recombination (that was reported to perhaps have occurred in
tobacco) may also be the cause of green edges on a yellow leaf in hostas.
This is a far stretch of logic and reasoning and certainly is not proof
of what he claims. Gerry and Bob O'Neil asked what are twinspots this AM.
I hope this explanation is sufficient.

The attack's on Vaughn's research and conclusions re mode of inheritance
in hostas ( from Bulletin 11 and 13) was only a diversionary tactic to
draw attention away from the principal issue being discussed , i.e. how
mitotic recombination could possibly operate in hostas to produce ( not
only twinspots but)  a green edge on a yellow hosta. The same claim for a
blue hosta sporting to a green hosta was also attributed by Ben to
mitotic recombination. We, who are involved in the discussion,  are
simply asking Ben to give some proof. If Ben does not wish to explain why
he "guesses" (his term) that mitotic recombination is one of the three
causes of variegated sports in hostas as claimed in his Rule of  Thumb,
then his post of this AM may indeed be his last one...in which case, the
discussion is terminated.

Jim Hawes