Re: yellow leaf = nuclear encoded

zonneveld wrote:
RE:>>3. One of my first controlled crosses was to bring pollen of a fully yellow-leaved hosta onto a green mother plant. 50 % of the ofspring was yellow This clearly proofs that yellow in hosta is a dominant nuclear character. If we cannot agree on this it is pointless to continue.
------------
Good afternoon, Ben,
Let me see if I can understand your basic assumptions, deduce your hypothesis and than later I will try to understand the conclusions you draw.

Assumptions:
1) Any ALL green pod parent is either homozygous GG, OR heterozygous Gy, Gb, Gw, or Gr AND
2) Any ALL yellow pollen parent is either homozygous YY, OR heterozygous Yg, Yb, Yw, or Yr.

How am I doing so far?  Are these two assumptions correct?  Are there better symbols for this statement that I should be using?

3) The coloration in this pod parent (and extrapolated, possibly all Hostas) is controlled by one set of genes at one specific locus, not multiple genes at multiple loci.

While I don't know that this is true, have I correctly stated this assumption?

4) The pollen parent does not bring any chloroplast DNA to the party, so if there are any changes in the color of the leaf of the resultant F1 progeny, then any changes to chloroplast makeup (DNA) in the prodgeny are forced because of DNA changes in the nucleus as a result of the cross.

Correct?

THE HYPOTHESIS:
1) If you cross a yellow (in appearance) pollen parent with a green (in appearance) pod parent, and you get 50% of the prodgeny to exhibit the color of the pollen parent, then ANY and ALL yellow prodgeny are due to a dominant nuclear DNA trait in the pollen parent.

I want to make sure I understand the assumptions and your hypothesis BEFORE we move on to examining the results and any conclusions drawn.  Please comment, if you will as to the accuracy of my assessment.  This is my FIRST attempt to understand your LAST attempt to make sense out of this mess.  :-)

TIA,

--
Andrew Lietzow
#1 Plantsman at http://hostahaven.com