Re: Tetraploids in Hosta

Ransom Lydell wrote:
RE:>>I don't know of any test that has "proved" any of those you mentioned, to be tets.

Hi Ran and Hosta enthusiasts,
In "Flow cytometric analysis of DNA content in Hosta reveals ploidy chimeras", Ben Zonneveld and Frank Van Iren, Euphytica 111: 105-110, 2000, Ben records the DNA content found in 84 Hosta cultivars.

The following were listed as Tetraploid:
F. Minuteman
F. Twilight
F. Patriot 3
F. Patriot 4
F. Patriot Green
F. Whirlwind
F. Second Wind
Grand Tiara
ventricosa 'Aureomarginata"
Jolly Green Giant
Little Blue
I would assume that other H. ventricosa may be tetraploid as well, which helps explain why I like it SO MUCH!

In the article, he goes on to state that he would assume H. 'Jolly Green Dwarf' and H. 'Little Blue' are actually aneuploids, primarily due to a lower DNA content and low pollen fertility.  These are conjectures, but seem plausible.

I'd like to know if plants, such as H. Cheatin' Heart, which show a Tetraploid L3 in the roots but diploid L1 in the leaves, could be more easily converted to an all tet version of the plant and I imagine this question has not escaped Dr. Zonneveld.  It seems likely that others will test this through additional attempts at ploidy conversion.   I would like to see H. Cheatin' Heart become more slug resistant and I imagine conversion of the L1 tissues to tetraploid would contribute to the plants ability to resist slugs.

And if Ben is reading this, what is the "F." for in front of Minuteman, etc.?  Fortunei?  Is this still an accepted naming convention?

P.S.  I would imagine there are a NUMBER of other tetraploid Hosta cultivars that simply have not been identified, possibly even H. 'Eagles Nest' and H. 'Oh My Heart' but maybe you could twist Ben's arm and get him to test them.

Hosta la Vista!

Andrew L.