Re: Failure ... may lead to ... Success!

zonneveld wrote:
RE:>>So for me further discussion along these lines is pointless. I am always willing to respond to serious questions
Hi Ben.  This is good to hear.

Okay, so let me try again since I sent this one yesterday.  I don't know how I could be any more serious.  If you knew how much time I had been studying genetics in the past few months, facing that steep learning curve with undaunting courage, you'd be proud since so much of this effort is due largely to your outrageous posts and the flak that they draw! :-)  Please don't lose patience with us--just hang in there!

Everyone who is either contributing answers, or questions, is appreciated.  Heck, if we could keep Jim Dixon (alias ShayDguy) on task, we'd even appreciate him!   Unfortunately, we CAN't seem to encourage him to be serious... Tee Hee Hee.

zonneveld wrote:
RE:>>3. One of my first controlled crosses was to bring pollen of a fully yellow-leaved
hosta onto a green mother plant. 50 % of the offspring was yellow This clearly proofs
that yellow in hosta is a dominant nuclear character. If we cannot agree on this it is
pointless to continue.
My question:
Let me see if I can understand your basic assumptions, deduce your hypothesis and
than later I will try to understand the conclusions you draw.

1) Any ALL green pod parent is either homozygous GG, OR heterozygous Gy, Gb,
Gw, or Gr.  In addition,
2) Any ALL yellow pollen parent is either homozygous YY, OR heterozygous Yg, Yb,
Yw, or Yr.

Are these two assumptions correct?  (While Jim Hawes recommends I use better symbols, I've examined my reference texts but can't come up with anything easier in nomenclature.  I'll keep digging', Jim...)
3) The coloration in this pod parent (and extrapolated, possibly all Hostas) is
controlled by one set of genes at one specific locus, not multiple genes at multiple

While I don't know that this is true, have I correctly stated this assumption?

4) The pollen parent does not bring any chloroplast DNA to the party, so if there are
any change in the color of the leaf of the resultant F1 progeny these are due to DNA changes in
the nucleus as a result of the cross.

1) If you cross a yellow (in appearance) pollen parent with a green (in appearance)
pod parent, and you get 50% of the progeny to exhibit the color of the pollen parent,
then ANY and ALL yellow progeny are due to a dominant nuclear DNA trait in the
pollen parent.

I want to make sure I understand the assumptions and your hypothesis BEFORE we
move on to examining the results and any conclusions drawn.  Please comment, if
you will as to the accuracy of my assessment.  This is my FIRST attempt to understand
your LAST attempt to make sense out of this mess.  :-)

Andrew Lietzow
#1 Plantsman at http://hostahaven.com
1250 41st St
Des Moines, IA 50311-2516