Re: Stabilizing Sports

Hi Chick,
        What I mean is that some types of chimeras are so unstable by nature that no amount of working with them is likely to give you a plant that will consistantly put out divisions that look like the one you're after. Probably the least likely to form a stable cultivar would be the ones that have a leaf that is one color on one side of the mid-vein and another color on the other side. I guess a lot of us have seen leaves with this pattern, but I'll bet nobody saw a plant that kept producing divisions with all the leaves showing that pattern. In general, non-streaked sectorial chimeras seem the least likely of the more common types to stabilize. "Stability" is, of course a relative term with Hosta.
                                                                                                   ........Bill Meyer
Chick asks:

What does that mean?

Bill Meyer wrote:

 Some types probably cannot be stabilized.