From: "Jim Hawes" <hawesj@atlantic.net>
To: <hosta-open@mallorn.com>
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2001 3:40 PM
Subject: TC
Hope all is well with you down there.  Talked with some friends at Hosta
College.  They are from Pittsburgh, and have a summer place near you ( in
Maryland)  They have invited katie and I down and would like to drive over
to see you and your Hostas this summer.  I will see how it works out.  I
sure would like to come down and this would be a good oppertunity.  More
about that as the season progresses.  You may have heard me say, that about
10 years ago I bought the Carolina Biological's TC kit.  It is Hosta
spicific.  It , along with my autoclave, has been sitting in the growing
room for all this time.  I have decided to "set up" and really have a try at
this.  I have bought "pre mix" for hostas , to start with, and also ordered
( today) the dry powder mix for all three stages.  I know you have gone over
it with me a few times, and so has Charles Tuttle.  I have the Plants From
Test Tubes book, as well as everything else I can get my hands on.  I have
bought a new "large" Hepa filter ( with pre-filter) from Sears, and
installed it in a plastic ( clear) carrying box, along with baffels of cleat
plactic.  Today I dug some Halcyou , to force a bit, and some other choicer
things, after some practice!  Boy I wuill say this looks hard to start.
They are suggesting starting the process in a covered Petri dish.  if you
have any advice ( like stick to making crosses) it will be welcome.  How
long should I expect to "grow" the dormant plants , to have them ready for
"processing"?  If they "extend" to the right point, can I place them back in
the refrigator to "hold" until I am ready to use?