>                   ...HOWEVER! ..having a terrific mutation classification
> system in place, then Registration of all of the above three should not be
> allowed! ..wouldn't everyone agree?

Bill, I do agree, conceptually, for now.

The problem comes in when the second person tries to register, and is
rejected because there's already a sport of that parent and it appears to be
the same as one already registered.  I'm going to ask this question, very
Is it unfair to the second person to have to prove the difference between
his/her sport and the one already registered? It boggles my mind to even
think about it. Then you get into the situation where if it becomes
difficult to register hostas, people will stop doing it. That leads to more
mass confusion for us poor consumers.

I obviously don't have the answers. My point of view is a little different
than some. I have no political agenda. I have no financial stake. Well, no,
that's not true, ALLOT of my finances go into this plant, just out, not in.
What I can do is state the case of us poor average hostanuts.

Nothing peeves me off more than buying a hosta, (usually paying big bucks
for it!) only to find out that I already have the same plant in my garden as
another name (that I paid big bucks for!). Hence, I'm making an effort to be
an educated consumer. Registrations at least let me do a database search on
a hosta I wish to purchase, see it's parentage, size, characteristics and
determine whether or not I want to invest my hard earned money into it. The
reason I volunteered to do this database was to try to help out, where I
could, in getting information out to other hostanuts in an easy to access
format. Hosta Library, Hosta Sports, Color Wheel are also all tools to help
me make a decision.

As an example, do I really need another Sum & Substance sport? Well, maybe.
But if it's just like the ones I already have, the answer is no!

Having said all that, I know that registration is not the only answer.
People will sell plants regardless of whether they are registered or not. We
the consumers will continue to buy them. So by restricting myself, or Jim
from registering our "look-alike" sports of Grand Slam, you do not fix the
problem. Again, I said I had no answers.

I knew I was opening a can of worms when I went down this road. But as Jim
just said, we are better off today than you were in the 90's. We just need
to put our heads together and come up with a good plan to tackle the
Mountain. The plan needs to be two fold. What we do going forward, and how
to tackle what's already been done.

It's been a big day for me, been preparing a presentation all week that I
gave today. My brain is fried. But I'll continue to give this some thought
as I'm sure you all are doing. There's gotta be a way. We just need to
brainstorm. There are very talented people out here.

Oh, and btw, you guys crack me up! Thanks for all the kind words about my
womanhood. (I think!) LOL!

Lu (Atlanta, Zone 7B)