Summer Joy

Hi Everyone,
         The following story was sent to me by Sally Murphy, who is not on hosta-open:
     "The first picture in the Hosta Library was taken in my garden by me
(with my son's digital camera, since I don't have one yet.)  I purchased this
plant from Klehm at the Peoria convention (too busy at our Indy convention to
have time to brouse the sales area!)  We grow several 'Great Expectations'
(in fact, won the Ala-Ho-So garden award for our GE at the Indy convention).
Our SJ plant is nothing like our GE plants.  The growth pattern is different,
colors are different, but it is a thoroughly delightful plant.  Smaller and
grows very well in almost full sun."
  " The story, as I heard it, was that one TC lab made the mistake that
resulted in so many GE plants being sold as SJ.  I didn't think Klehm had
anything to do with it until I read that you had bought your plant from them
at Indianapolis.  Last summer I pointed out to a hosta vendor that the
plants she was selling looked like GE and she contacted the TC lab they came
from, where someone admitted that their plants were indeed GE.  My
friend says her plants grow better and faster than GE, but agrees that they
resemble it. I asked her if the TC lab had offered replacements and she said
no."                     --------from Sally Murphy  reprinted with permission
     I think she may indeed have a real one there, and if so it's the first I've heard of. What's really strange about this situation is that the "hoax" plant is one of the best, but the plant it's masquerading as looks to be pretty good too. Any retailers who got caught in the mix-up have perfectly saleable 'Great Expectations' , so they won't lose any money. Does anyone else have any stories to share? We don't need to use the names of the specific nurseries involved, so we don't imply that anyone is deliberately perpetuating this hoax. It seems to have taken on a life of its own.
                                                                                                                 .....Bill Meyer