Moving on

     Joe, in regard to backyard practicality and all the various types of
mutation that we have been discussing I would like to ask questions along the
same lines as Bill in his posting.

       >>>What I would like to hear from you is this: What should we keep an
eye (and camera) out for?

Unusual photos like the possible twin spot one could be evidence of certain
processes. Are there other things we can all watch for which might be
important clues to further understanding the nature of sports?

Or simple experiments in breeding we can do and report on? This is an area in
which we need some real leadership from someone with your background. I'm not
asking you to answer this now, just keep it in mind for later. Some of us can
help with field research, and this too is a necessary part of reaching a
truly comprehensive understanding.<<<

                                  ......Bill Meyer

     I plan to have eyes more open than ever, (and a new digital this
summer). Would you suggest various simple hybridizing directions that would
have higher percentage of what we are looking for. I have produced about 1000
seedlings this year and as we speak am attempting to apply all this new (for
me) information being discussed in the culling process. I am examining
seedlings in a way I never have been able to before (thanks guys, I am
grateful). Sure I look for anything "different" in any group shape, color,
texture, growth rate anything that appeals to me in one way or another. How
can I, in a practical "backyard" way, begin to apply what could be more
successful in developing that beautiful new introduction, weather it be in
the direction of registration for public consumption or simply in our own
gardens for personal pleasure?
     Could we possibly discuss the quote "Origin of Sports" on multiple
levels? I am hungry for it all (like always). I would like to continue
learning exactly what is currently being presented by you, Jim, Bill and
others and I want to also get down on my knees in the dirt. Narda says it so
eloquently "I am a sower of seeds"
     Bill I REALLY like where you are going with this. We could develop
specific projects,collaberations, with whatever controls are appropriate to

                                      Jim Towle