Re: Moving On

>One is that nuclear mutations are I think more common than is
>generally perceived.

Nuclear mutations are not uncommon, but neither are they so rampant
that we will see them everyday.  Also, a nuclear mutation or any
chromosome damage is of limited value from a breeding point of view
unless the mutation can be incorported into the gametes.  A mutation
for red hosta flowers, for example, isn't going to do anything or even
be seen if it occures in a root cell.

>What I would like to hear from you is this: What should we keep =
>an eye (and camera) out for?

In terms of images I think it would be nice to have images of sporting
as the sporting starts to occure and then maybe follow that up as the
plant matures.

>Or simple experiments in breeding we can do and report on?

I think there are a lot of things that various people who are
interested in this subject of sporting and variegation can do to help
us understand the process.

First, I think we need to know just how much of hosta variegation is
due to mutated chloroplast and how much is nuclear in nature.  This
can be done by making reciprocal crosses - A x B and B x A.  For
example, make some crosses of yellow leafed hostas with green leafed
hosta, first with the yellow parent as pod parent and then as pollen
parent.  Also do this for white or yellow cented hostas crossed to
green hostas with the variegated hosta as both pod and pollen parent.
If you have OP seeds of variegated pod parents you might want to plant
them and just see what kind of segregation you get in the progenies
even if the seedlings aren't anything useful from a breeding point of
view. Even if you discard the seedlings afterwards it's not any worse
then not planting the seeds in the first place.

We also need to know just what streaked hostas produce streaked
seedlings.  For example I was looking at the hosta library the other
day and noticed a lot of streaked seedlings from Neat Splash.  Now,
the question is, do all crosses with Neat Splash as pod parent produce
steaked seedlings?  Are there streaked hostas that don't produce any
streaked progenies?

What also might be interesting to know is what hostas will self
pollinate.  This is something that is relatively easy to do if you
know how to make controlled crosses in hostas.

Another interesting experiment that people may want to do is making
yellow x yellow crosses to see if different yellow hostas are yellow
because they all have the same yellow leafed gene or if there are
different genes involved.  For example, if some yellow x yellow
crosses produce all green progenies, now that would be interesting to
know, or even if certain green x green crosses produced yellow
seedlings.  Anything unusual like this could be useful information.
My general advice is to not to try to figure out if it might be useful
or not before reporting it - report the observations and then we can
look at it and figure out if it fits into any pattern.

Joe Halinar