Re: Hosta Sports (and VBG)?

In a message dated 03/31/2001 12:54:52 AM Central Standard Time,
halinar@open.org writes:

.  DNA sequencing is going to be done on virus and
bacteria disease organisms, disease causing insects and important food
crops.  It might be nice to have some of this information about
hostas, but I'm not sure what use we would put it to in regard to
breeding hostas.

I would have the agree with this statement, even if we knew the Hosta
genome-what would we do with that knowledge.  It has no practical benefit
toward developing more or better cultivars.

Since current ability to manipulate genes is haphazard and random at best.

Good old fashioned breeding is the best avenue we will have for many years
yet to come.

There might be some benefit in studying sporting to determine what or if any
diffrent types lead to more stabilized clones over time.

In any investigative endeavor it is good to develop some aims or purpose for
ones research, many times what we learn maybe unexpected, but research is
best done when there is an objective.

As with many objectives there are practical questions which produce clearly
delineated benefits, and there are purely factual objectives that have no
apparent benefits.

My question to you Andrew is- "what do you want to achieve?"
Are they practical objectives or purely academic objectives?

The reason one species has it's genome mapped and others do not, relates to
cost and effort verse the benefits.  In the case of pathogens the knowledge
of the genome may be useful in developing measures to control them or
mitigate their harmful effects. In the case of food crops that knowledge may
be useful in developing resistance to disease or increasing yields or
developing useful by products.

But in Hosta what are our objectives-better Hosta for our gardens-Which
methods are cost effective in achieving this objective?

Paul

Specialty Perennials
Hardyplants.com