Re: Tiaras Again

  • Subject: Re: Tiaras Again
  • From: "Bill Meyer" <njhosta@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 19:20:25 -0500

>Please direct me to the area were I might find the evidence
> that it is a sport of Gold Edger or Gold Drop
Hi Mike,
        This evidence can best be found at nurseries which sell 'Royal
Tiara' :-) Seriously, why not pick one up and see for yourself. It's a
pretty neat plant to boot. Data doesn't always tell the whole story. This
isn't the only piece of "hosta lore" that everyone accepted at face value,
even though it wasn't true. Remember Hank Zumach's getting 'Sea Sprite'
tested? That was THE plant that raised the first concerns about virus in
hosta, and everyone was convinced that those were the symptoms of a new
virus called Hosta Virus X. In it's first test after years of being the
poster hosta for viruses, it was shown to not have Hosta Virus X or any othe
known virus. Data is only as good as the effort people make to be sure it's
right before turning it into data, but for those who handle large amounts of
information, like George Schmid and Mark Zilis in their books, and you
yourself with your database, it's impossible to check and see if everything
you've been told was correct, or investigate every fact yourself.
          Since publishing his book, Mark Zilis has tissue-cultured the
previously hard-to-find 'Royal Tiara' and, having them around to study, is
said to be leaning towards agreeing that it is not a Tiara after all.

........Bill Meyer