Re: H. 'June'

  • Subject: Re: H. 'June'
  • From: njhosta@hotmail.com
  • Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2002 23:41:36 -0500

Hi Glen,
       'June' was found in TCed 'Halcyon' at the now-defunct Neo Plants in
England. If another gold-centered sport appeared on a 'Halcyon' it would
very likely not look like 'June', because the color of the center on 'June'
is very unusual, as is the center color on 'Great Expectations'. One other
'Halcyon' sport with a light center is 'Paradise Joyce' (Fransen), but I
don't know whether it came from TC or not. It is clearly different from
'June'. You may remember an old Journal article about hostas in England
which had a photo of a gold-centered sport growing from a mature 'Halcyon'.
I never heard any more about that one though. There are at least three named
'Halcyon' sports with margins and none (I think) show the same colors as
         I won't get into it here, but there is an argument going about
different "forms" of 'June' as well, with some saying they are different
enough to name, so it is clearly somewhat variable in pattern.

........Bill Meyer