Re: A moral question

  • Subject: Re: A moral question
  • From: ranbl@netsync.net
  • Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 11:19:46 -0500 (EST)

For just a second there I thought I read " from an exhaust fan"  and
thought " this one will be ripe!!"
I guess this topic which has been discussed endelessly in the past, is
actually fairly simple.  For those older hybridizers ( most of whom have
now passed on or simply "retired".  The process became unfair.  they had
given away ( to friends) many of their best plants and had indeed lost
control of them. My sympathies lie mostly with them. For those of us
that remain, we can introduce a new plant to the general market ,
knowing full well that if it is good enough, someone will TC it and it
will be sold everywhere.  Or we can hold on to it and sell just a few to
folks that will no doubt treasure it in their gardens for a period of
time.  It is a " seller beware" system, but remember for most
hybridizers publicity is important and free publicity is great.  It is,
that is, if the plant connected with that persons name is great.  ( a
very good arguement for not putting any junk out there) We have the
option of trade marking any name we attach to our plants , as well as
registration, so there are some inexpensive processes that help. Having
said all that, Do I wish I could sue anyone selling my plants who has
not asked first ? YOU BET  I think around a minimum of $10,000.00 per
offense is about right.  ( I will settle for less)
Thanks  (Can't remember if you are guilty or not Chick, but if you are
please send the check to)
Ran Lydell ( former hosta ticked VP candidate)
Eagle Bay Gardens
10749 Bennett Rd.
Dunkirk , NY 14048