Re: Hostas-The complete guide-by Rosemary Barrett, photography by Derek Hughes

  • Subject: Re: Hostas-The complete guide-by Rosemary Barrett, photography by Derek Hughes
  • From: "Betty" <hostas@fuse.net>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 11:39:06 -0500

I finally had some time to go thru the new hosta book.
It's a very pleasant book about hostas, but not a technical one.  I think it
is worth owning, but only after you  have Genus Hosta, Van Wade's Catalog
and the Zillis book. It is more of a general book of gardening with
hostas..giving a large area to companion plants.  The book also addresses
growing hostas in containers. There is a very small section in the back that
shows some individual hosta listings with pictures.  It is definitely not
technical, but a book directed at the normal gardener.  It is one of the
better publications to advertise Hosta to the gardener....which is a great
thing.  Once you start growing a few hostas.....you need a few
more.......and you need a few more.....then you find a club......then you're
Every hybridizer should be thrilled to see a book like this to hit the
shelves!  It will cause a few more Hostaholics.
The cover is the best I've ever seen!  It is beautiful and catches the eye.
The photography is lovely, although definitely not done by a hostaholic.  at
$24.99, it is a nice addition to my meagre Hosta shelf.   I'm still waiting
for the Book by Shadrack and Grefell.  I bought it at Hosta College for
$45......(so you know I really wanted it! )
What we need the very most is for the Van Wade catalog to become a real book
, with LOTSA color photos added of Van's garden and to be printed on better
paper so it will last forever.

I hope all of you ran to the store and indulged in this book!
I noticed it was published in New Zealand....are both of the authors from

Have a great day!
In Ohio, Stilletto is unfurling!