Re: Topic=Photographing Hostas

-----Original Message-----
From: CCREDUX@aol.com <CCREDUX@aol.com>
To: hosta-open@mallorn.com <hosta-open@mallorn.com>
Date: Monday, March 01, 1999 9:46 PM
Subject: Topic=Photographing Hostas

>Hi All!
>I enjoy taking pix of hostas and garden scenes. I'd like to get your
>on the best way to get really good pix.
>Here are my questions:
>What kind of camera do you use?Pentax PZ20
>Do you put it on Auto  or do you use manual settings?Mainly auto but
sometimes apterure priority
>What is your favorite speed of film, generally?ASA of 200
>What is your favorite brand of film?Kodak Gold
>Do you ever use Professional film---if so, what kind?No
>Where do you focus in taking a pic of a clump? At front of clump, 1/3 back,
>1/2 back at back of clump?1/3 back
>Do you take mulitiple shots at different angles?Sometimes
>Do you use a flash? If so, when?no
>Do you prefer transparencies or print?prints. In Jan. I bought a HP Photo
Smart Film
scanner which will do negatives,slides and prints to 5x7.It scans at 2400
dpi.I have done slides from 25 years ago and the prints are great.
>Do you ever use 1000 ASA?If so, under what conditions?I have tried twice
but I find there is too much of a contrast b/t the dark and light parts.
>Do you use various lenses? Do you ever use a wide angle lens?I have a
35-105 zoom lens with a 2:1 macro and it is good for most occasions.
>Is there one lens you prefer over others?
>Have you ever put cardboard or such behind a clump in order to get good
>contrast?An odd time inorder to get mote light to an area.
>What do you do with a subject that is in half sun and half shade?Get a
light reading b/t the two.
>Have you ever taken negatives back to developer to redo pix because they
>too blue,too green, too light, too dark, etc.? Any luck if you have
done?No. I can change the colour,contrast,hue using print shop deluxe.
>Do you find that digital cameras are better than the others?Good 35mm
cameras are
better than any of the digital cameras out there and along with a film
scanner (HP)
the prints can not compare.
>What are your secrets in getting good results?Time of day,lighting and
A picture should have your eye drawn in to the centre of interest using real
lines of direction and immaginary lines of direction.