Re: Topic=Photographing Hostas

Hey Clyde and all who want to read! This is a very good series of questions.
What kind of camera do you use?
Olympus OM-1. Old camera, but great lens.
Do you put it on Auto  or do you use manual settings?
MANUAL!! You are in control of your photos not your camera.
What is your favorite speed of film, generally?
100 speed. Slower speeds capture the most detail.
What is your favorite brand of film?
Do you ever use Professional film---if so, what kind?
Where do you focus in taking a pic of a clump? At front of clump, 1/3 back,
Directly at the front of the clump.
Do you take mulitiple shots at different angles?
I bracket my exposures to achieve the best quality. Bracketing is to purposly overexpose and underexpose to same shot at the same angle to achieve the best picture.
Do you use a flash?
Never. A flash creates strange unbelievable shadows in the background.
Do you prefer transparencies or print?
Do you use various lenses? Do you ever use a wide angle lens?
I don't really see a need for various lenses when photographing in the garden. If I want to get a close up shot, I simply move closer. I find a normal 50mm lens to work great.
Have you ever put cardboard or such behind a clump in order to get good
No, but I do use a fill card to reflect light into the dark shadow areas. I also use a diffuser to break up harsh direct sunlight.
What do you do with a subject that is in half sun and half shade?
Personally I expose for the shadows, but in doing this the light areas will be generally washed out. If you expose for the highlights, the shadows will be completely black.
Have you ever taken negatives back to developer to redo pix because they are
too blue,too green, too light, too dark, etc.?
Do you find that digital cameras are better than the others?
I don't like them. I feel as though it's "cheating."
What are your secrets in getting good results?
Bracketing exposures is a MUST. Using a cable release and a tripod assures crisp focus.

Mike Groothuis
Niles, MI
zone 5b