Re: Hosta Wheels and Artist's Palette

Hugo.Philips@sni.be wrote:
> Jim,
> Many thanks for your quick answer. Not everybody is willing to reply
> to the questions of a newbie. I hope that you have some more time
> for the next questions?
   As a newbie you seem to be a quick learner and ask good questions.
> I think I understand the Benedict Cross. I think I understand a bit about
> chimeras. But I don't see "all" the logic behind the Palette. I studied
> mathematics, so I like to order and classify! Please enlighten me?
   The logic behind the Artist's Palette is that the three colors in
hostas are due to the green chloroplasts, the white, colorless plastids
and the yellow pigments associated with destruction of chloroplasts.
These kinds and population and their  mix determines color of cells and
thus leaf tissues. In the Modified Benedict Cross ( the Palette) the
green and white are located in the upper hemisphere...the green and
yellow in the lower hemisphere.
> * I see that Light Green is inside the circle and Dark Green outside,
>   but at 2 o'clock inside there is White Margins/Yellow Centers?? I
>   would expect this somewhere near the bottom.
   You are very observant in pointing out an anomoly which exists in the
Wheel design. Yellow centers and white margins do not fit well  so we
have placed them arbitrarily at about 2 oclock inside the circle....a
place to "park"
them because there is not other good place for them.
> * Same topic, near 1 o'clock outside there's Light Green Margins/Green
>   Centers. Shouldn't this be inside? All other Light Green is inside.
> You will note that on the right hemisphere, all margins are lighter than adjacent inside tissues. On the left hemisphere, all marginal tissues are darker than the inside adjacent tissues. I think you can see the logic that on the right we are considering margined types of variegation patterns....and that on the left we a considering the mediovariegated patterns.
> * Can you quickly explain what's responsible for the difference between
>   Dark Green and Light Green? (more of something, less of something)?
> Yes...this was mentioned previously...dark green represents cells that have a high population of chloroplasts with chlorophyll a molecules. Light green  have less chlorophyll a and more chlorophyll b molecules which are lighter in color.
> * I don't get the difference between cream/white/ivory. From the Palette
>   I would say ivory=white with a bit of green and cream =white with a
>   bit of yellow? But I'm not sure.
I would agree with this description.
> * What do you do with the plants that start with a creamy margin
>   and turn white later on? Where do they belong?
> * I see Viridescent. Does this include Lutescent & Albescent?
In selecting a color to represent the description of the plant being
identified, I believe we should select an early stage of color which
shows the hosta at its representative best. If colors change during the
season, we should note these changes which characterize the hosta,
i.e.viridescent...turning to green, lutescent...turning to yellow,
albescent...turning to white.
 Like you said, this is DATA and that's why I want to include it in
> my hosta database. But before I put it in, I want to understand what
> is behind it. At least some people like to share information with others.
> Can't be said from everyone.
> I hope that I didn't ask too many questions.
> Best wishes,
> Hugo Philips

It was pleasant chatting hostas with you Philip.
Jim H