Moving hostas before they come up..HELP..

Well now I really need your help so all of you throqw in your two cents worth.

This spring I am building a water garden of fairly decent size.  After working
for several hours to come up with the best spot for the pond, my wife made
another of her famous and irrevocable decisions - The pond goes where half of
my hosta garden was last year..and for that matter still is..  The problem is
that I have not blown the leaves off my hostas yet and they have not even
begun to grow so it's going to be difficult to locate all of them..

So,, the questions are:
1.  Is it too early to uncover them"
2.  How do you locate them  if there is no growth.  Some of them are obvios
since    	the scapes from last year are still standing.
3.  Can I dig them and put them in gallon pots untill I can get out and
prepare a 	new bed for them?
If you can help me I'd be much obliged.

Hosta La Viesta