Re: triploids

Ben:

>Yes some hostas show extra-large pollen especially in the cultivars
>when looked under the microscope.

Those are most likely unreduced gametes.  Do you see these in a low
frequency and what frequency of cutivars do you see these larger
pollen grains in?

>I found about seven triploids in hosta and have made a few bonafide
>ones myself.

Are triploid hostas any more vigorous than diploids?  Commerical lily
hybridizers like to introduce triploid lilies, because, in part, they
tend to be a bit more vigorous then diploids - they produce a sizable
inflorescence with a smaller bulb.  When you look at triploid hostas
can you see any phenotypic traits that distinguish them as possible
triploids/polyploids?

Do triploid hosta show any fertility?  Triploid lilies are quite
common and many triploid lilies show some fertility, a few seeds up to
10 or more in a few triploids.  While the number of seeds per pod may
be low, there are often enough seed produced for hybridizing use.

Commerical lily hybridizers also like to introduce triploid lilies
because it also protects their germplasm development to some extent.
I'm not sure if this would be important with hostas.

>A sport CAN be due to a mutation but rarely is. It is mostly due to
>a mitotic recombination or chimeral rearrangements.

Do you have any data indicating what the rate of mitotic recombination
may be?  I've always been under the impression that mitotic
recombinations are EXTREAMELY RARE in the first place and for mitotic
recombination to result in a sport it has to occur in the apical
meristem or a cell that can give rise to an adventitious bud.

Joe Halinar