Re: Blooming seedlings

I realize that you asked information from northern folks but wanted to put my
two bits in also.  I realize that things are very different here but here
goes.  Because of the longer growing season many of my seedlings flower twice
during the first year of life.  I always take out the first flower scape but
at times when I get really excited about a plant I have tried for pods on the
second flowering.  I get pods but have discovered that often that plant does
not have enough strength to come up the following year.  Upon checking the
crown. I have found it to be firm and sound.  At times I have been able to
cut slits into it and get new buds to come out but more often I have lost the
plant.  if I wait until it comes up the following year the plant seems to be
strong enough to support several pods and be ready for the next season.  If
it is a plant with many flowers I try to use only a small portion of the for