Re: Blooming seedlings

>I do believe my friend Ron L. will attempt to cross first
>year plants.  How about it Ron, had any success doing this?  It is my
>understanding that making crosses with first year plants is generally
>not recommended.

There is no reason I can see why one can't or shouldn't make crosses
on first time bloom.  Yes, you do have the problem that the plant is
not fully mature and not completely evaluated, but sometimes you want
to go to the second generation quickly.  I like to make a cross and
then plan on looking in the F2 generation for introduction quality
plants, so I want to use the seedlings the first year they bloom.
Even though you can't fully evaluate a seedling that young you can
still select out desirable plants to intermate - it's the
recombination of all those genes that you are interested in.  And as
Ron stated, you want to use streaked plants before they stabilize.

Sometimes also, a trait will show up that you want to incorporate into
other breeding lines quickly.  For example, I have one seedling that
has the most beautiful power blue foliage I've seen.  I'll use that
seedling even though it hasn't been fully evaluated because I want to
combine that color with other traits, but I know that I will most
likely only get what I want in the F2 generation from the original
cross.  There is no reason for me to wait to use the blue seedling.

Also, I like to grow out a limited number of self pollinated seedlings
from particular hostas, both named introductions and seedlings, as
these selfed progenies give me an insight into the plant's genotype.
All of my crosses with seedlings are done on greenhouse grown plants,
so they are a decent size when they bloom the following year.  I
realize I could probably get some of them to bloom the first year by
growing them under lights during the winter, but I have found that to
be more trouble then it is generally worth.

Joe Halinar