Re: Hostas Magazine

  • Subject: Re: Hostas Magazine
  • From: Andrew Lietzow <andrewl@hostahaven.com>
  • Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 21:37:23 -0500

Cindy Johnson wrote:
Thanks for your comments, Cindy.  You have illustrated that you recognize effort and appreciate the results from that effort.  When I wrote this morning's "manuscript" I had not received my copy of the Hosta Magazine.   It arrived today, so the first thing I read was the editorial comment.  I appreciate Len's openness and sharing from the heart and once again, I read 90% of the magazine within two hours of receipt (and this while the final chapter of Survivor II was airing and the HM still got top billing for my time!!!  That is a stellar achievement!).

While it's easy to want more, I'm just curious.  Preston and others--What are the other things that you would like to see included?   I believe this could be interesting to discover.  Of course, if you like plants more than people, you want to see more articles about plants.  Or, if you like the gardening aspect of Hostas you're not going to be writting Len to plead for more scientific articles.  Understanding just WHAT niche the HM fills would be paramount to determing what the contents should be.  And at first, we need to give the magazine lattitude to discover what it's readership would like to see!

So thank you, Cindy, for taking a moment to ... make my day!!!

Viva la Hosta Magazine!

Andrew C. Lietzow, Hacker - The ACL Group, Inc.
..Also #1 Plantsman at http://hostahaven.com ...
...1250-41st St Des Moines, IA 50311-2516 ......
....515-274-0300 V/F 515-238-6558 Cell .........

Andrew wrote:Sure, it had a little more of a folksy feel that the current AHS Journal, but maybe this is part of the niche that it can fill. I'm glad you spoke up with your different perspective, because I confess, I was one of those that thought the magazine wasn't worth my $25 when I got the 1st issue.  The "Hosta Person of the Month" is probably my favorite column in the magazine so far.   This month I  enjoyed reading about Olga Petryszyn and last month reading about our own Bevie Schmidt.   I never thought about how a magazine can grow, as you mentioned the AHS Journal did.   I do hope it grows to more than just 20 pages, though.  So thanks to you, Andrew, I am now looking at the Hosta Magazine in a different light because I think you're right when you say it has a folksy feel to it.  I like that, which in no way means I like the AHS Journal any less....kind of like when a new baby is born, we don't love our older children any less! Cindy JohnsonWhite Bear Lake, MNzone 4a