Re: Some Grow---Some Don't

  • Subject: Re: Some Grow---Some Don't
  • From: Arnhild Bleie <abbl@online.no>
  • Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 13:46:01 +0200

At 02:00 AM 4.5.01 -0400, Dan Nelson wrote:
>   I feel sure what we are seeing are fungal root rots  in hostas. I have
>dug hostas that refused to grow and found dried dead rhizome  material
>along with small pieces of non rotted rhizome. I have removed all of  the
>dead material and soaked the remaining parts of the rhizome in a systemic
>fungicide or 20% bleach solution and replanted and have had good  results.

... regarding this above I have a question regarding seedlings growing and
over winter in pot - they seem to have died and was about to throw them
away ... but checking them first of course  ... and like Dan I also find
small rhizomes that seem to be alive

Must explain some first:
Last summer was my first year growing hosta seedlings. I potted them and
let them over winter like that - since we normally have mild winters here
that is not a big problem with winter damage.
I had a few still growig inside until December .. just because there were
room for them and I thought they were some small .. well since they had
then been under light for near 11 months I thought it was about time to let
them go dormant - so I put them outside, of course to a much different
climate. Frost came to these plants while they still were green and nice ..
I left them like that.
I did cover them a bit later because we got a much colder winter than
expected - in fact the cold for 85 years! Long periods with barfrost both
in February and March - and April was colder than normal too. So spring is
very very late this year

I am very disapointed now ... looked like these baby seedlings had rotten
or frost damage? I was so sad - thought all my last years work was more or
less wasted time.

 ...but then .. there are maybe some small rhizomes alive .. and I would so
much try to save them!

now my question:
Should treat them like Dan told; dip/wash the remaining rootbits in some
solution? Or water them with it? Or just wash of them some soil (peat moss
+ perlite)?
What do you think about this? Any experiences?

Thank you in tons for answer .. I would really be happy if I could save
some of these seedlings .. they were cared much for what ever you think :)

Arnhild - Hardanger in Norway