Re: Sambacus Species and Varietes

  • Subject: Re: Sambacus Species and Varietes
  • From: "Bill Meyer" <njhosta@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 21:16:21 -0400

Hi Clyde and Betty,
          The elderberries are attractive but will get 7-8  feet tall. They are tough and vigorous and generally stay pretty attractive until frost. The variety names for the Betty mentioned are:
Green with a fern leaf..deeply cut -------NOT SURE
yellow and green variegated--------------- Madonna (creamy yellow margin)
white and green variegated --------------- NOT SURE
golden--------------------------------------------- More than one, I think. Best one is racemosa plumosa Aurea
green with white splashing --------------- nigra Pulverulenta (Buy this one!)
(there is a red, but I have been unable to find it.) ---------- Guincho Purple

In a message dated 5/7/2001 6:38:57 AM Central Daylight Time, BDeyes6@aol.com

I think you might be referring to Sambucus....elderberry?
I have five types in the garden.

Thanks! Yes that was I was referring to.
Can any be grown well in pots?

Clyde C.