Re: Treating shipped Hosta

  • Subject: Re: Treating shipped Hosta
  • From: "Township" <township@acbm.qc.ca>
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 14:26:53 -0400

Charles,
I basically treat them the same way (soaking and sometimes treating prior to
planting).  This week I received plants that were in transit for about 7 1/2
days due to a routing mix-up by UPS.  Very big healthy roots systems on nice
plants.  Roots were dry, leaves were limp, but there were also some soft
mushy spots near the base of the plants.  What do you do in a case like
this?  I removed all the slimy leaves and petioles...then couldn't decide if
I let them air dry or soak!  I did both.  Layed the roots in a large saucer
of water  (to rehydrate)  but fanned out the petioles and leaves in a
semi-shaded area to dry off.  Is this o.k.?  Should I have done things
differently?  Doesn't look like the old leaves will perk up, but just took a
look, and looks like the new leaves which are unfurling are fine!  Its just
a shame to have to miss out on a nice full foliar display.
( I really do prefer the Post Office for shipping plants!)
Smile
Barbara

mail to:  "township@acbm.qc.ca"