Treating shipped Hosta

  • Subject: Treating shipped Hosta
  • From: ctuttle39@juno.com
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 08:53:07 -0400

I just received a shipment of 4 Hosta that, when the box was opened,
looked to be extremely desiccated.  The leaves drooped badly and had
little life to them.  They were shipped on Monday - arrived Wednesday.
The newspaper around the roots, although had been wet, were now totally
dry, even though everything was wrapped in a plastic bag.

I immediately took them home and put the plants in a bucket with water
covering the roots.  The bucket was then placed in darkness at about 60F
(in the basement).  This morning the miracle of recovery was observed -
the leaves had recovered their "life."  I will let them continue to soak
until this evening and then plant them out.  I will spray the roots and
crowns with Benomyl (fungicide) before planting.

So, when you get dried out plants in the mail, do not despair.  Soak them
overnight in a cool location before panicking.

Just a suggestion.  How do you handle your newly arrived plants?

Charles Tuttle
Columbus  OH   Z5