Re: Treating shipped Hosta

  • Subject: Re: Treating shipped Hosta
  • From: BanyaiHsta@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 08:27:39 EDT

Thanks for the bleach comment Charles - as I have been taught and have said for years, you can't ever use enough bleach. When I receive plants, let them soak in cool dilute bleach water. If you forget and their roots turn bright white, then you know they are clean!

Rule of thumb - same amount as light clothes washing - or for us menfolk, add enough and mix with your hand until you can both feel and smell the chlorine. Too much wrinkles the skin/burns the skin or nose. Use just enough so that you know it is there. It only takes a little practice to know when is enough!!

Maybe for Mother's Day you can learn to do wash and learn to use bleach properly?

Happy Mother's Day to all you out there who put up with us men and kids. Without you we wouldn't be around!!!!

One rule for soaking hosta in bleach water: cool water, cool air, no sunlight. Sunlight increases the effect of the bleach, and will kill growing substances if allowed to heat up/get activated fast. That is why you use bleach to kill mold/fungi in your washing of clothes with hot water.