Re: Disgusted

Yes and no.  It's the same sport from the same plant, but they didn't take my plant and put a new name on it.  I frankly don't know if there is any difference between them.

As the rules now stand, that's the way it's supposed to be done.  If two people find similar sports, they are supposed to have different names unless it can be shown that they are identical in all respects.  I'm not sure that we can ever do that.  People still do not agree whether Mayan Moon and Abiqua Moonbeam, or Guardian Angel and Angel Eyes are the same plants.  When they came out, most people said that Mayan Moon and Abiqua Moonbeam were the same, but Alex grew them side by side and said they were different.  Whether it matters or not I don't know, but if after a number of years the differences were significant, under the old rules, both plants would have been traded under the same name and many people would not know which one they had.

We took three plants of Angel Eyes and three of Guardian Angel and grew them side by side in three different gardens in Wisconsin.  One person said they were the same plant, one said that Guardian Angel was superior and the third liked Angel Eyes best.  I personally think they may be the same plant that grows differently under different conditions, but I really don't know.

The theory is that it is better to have one plant registered under two names than to have two plants out there with the same name.  I don't think there is any easy answer.

Dan Nelson wrote:

There is no doubt that some people are registering hostas that they know have been in the trade for years.........and are giving it a new name and putting their name on it as the introducer like it's something new. What's that edged 'Piedmont Gold' that you have Chick? Is it the same as 'Tylers Treasure'?