Re: Disgusted

Hell, once I get started, I might as well disagree with everyone.  Maybe I'm
just feeling contrary today.

Before we start looking for solutions, what is the problem?  If I offer to sell
you Satisfaction and Bob Solberg offers to sell you Tyler's Treasure, and both
of us tell you that it is a green centered form of Piedmont Gold, if you buy
them both then you deserve to be parted with your money.  So assuming that we're
all honest with each other, you will only buy one, probably based on price or
who you like to deal with, or something.  Just because a plant is offered to you
doesn't mean you should buy it, and if you know enough not to buy every plant
that is registered, where is the problem?

When we start nominating people to decide for us which hostas we should have, I
think we are going to cause more problems than we solve.   For the most part the
differences are very subjective, primarily apperance.  It's not like very many
are weak growers, invasive pests, more subject to disease or have any of the
other characteristics you might use to judge a tree or shrub.  In most cases you
just think one looks better than another.  So you buy the one you like.  Many of
us have hundreds of different hostas, but I doubt that anyone could name very
many that are "must have and very distinct".  Maybe 25 or 50 that are so good
that if they were taken off the market you couldn't find another you like just
as well.  I doubt that there are that many.

We already have a system of prizes and awards given by the AHS.  And the growers
nominate a plant for hosta of the year.  Does anyone really pay any attention to
them when they decide whether they want to buy a hosta?  We already have plenty
of criteria to make a choice.  Who's the breeder? Who's the seller? What to
others say about it.  Most important, what's it look like?  If anyone is
including whether the plant is registered in these criteria, then they don't
understand the process.