Registration (Was: Re: Disgusted)

  • Subject: Registration (Was: Re: Disgusted)
  • From: "Gerry/Bob O'Neill" <eoneill@attglobal.net>
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 07:56:22 -0400

We're losing track of the purpose of registration yet again. Sorry, but it's all about taxonomy. It's not about quality, utility, or popularity. It's about avoiding duplication of names. The only training that's necessary is for the Registrar, who follows the naming rules of the ISHS in deciding whether to accept a hosta for registration. Uniqueness of the plant is not even a consideration, just that a unique name is attached officially to a hosta of a particular description.

If we want to do something re uniqueness or quality of the plant, we have to come up with something entirely different.