Re: Registration (Was: Re: Disgusted)

Gerry/Bob O'Neill wrote:

> We're losing track of the purpose of registration yet again. Sorry, but it's all about taxonomy. It's not about quality, utility, or popularity. It's about avoiding duplication of names. The only training that's necessary is for the Registrar, who follows the naming rules of the ISHS in deciding whether to accept a hosta for registration. Uniqueness of the plant is not even a consideration, just that a unique name is attached officially to a hosta of a particular description.

There ya go.

> If we want to do something re uniqueness or quality of the plant, we have to come up with something entirely different.

And the market takes care of that quite well, better than any committee will ever do.  I still vote for fewer rules and committees and more common sense.

I can't immagine a person intentionally introducing a bad plant, why would you want your name on a plant that everyone is going to ridicule?  I know it happens - maybe the introducer is new at this, or didn't grow it long enough, or maybe the plant grew well one place but doesn't do anything in other areas, but there's is no reason you have to waste any money on bad plants.  Just do your research before you spend your money.  You don't have to go out and buy every new plant that
is offered.  Most of you don't have all the good older plants yet, but you start drooling over every new one you see.

On the other hand, some of us are willing to spend good money after bad because that, to me, it's part of the game.  If you want the newest and the most unusual, you have to accept that some plants are going to be dissapointing.  A lot of people were complaining about Tatoo being a waste of money, but you won't hear any complaints from people who have a nice clump of it in their yard. Sometimes it's worth the risk.  If you look at who the breeder is - I suspect that most
questionable plants come from breeders, like myself, who haven't been at this a long time and sometimes make mistakes - and if you talk to people like me who are willing to take a chance on almost anything and see what we think about it, then there's less chance that you will waste your money and the bad plants will just wither away here at Bridgewood.

I have to agree that the number of plants being registered is mind boggling, but some of that is just old plants finally getting listed because of new policies.  If you look at the list, some people registered 20-30 plants, probably many of these plants that had been around a while and were finally registered because of all the pressure the AHS is putting on people.  Hopefully that will slow down after a while, and we'll have a more complete record of what exists.

And the tc labs are putting out so many new varieties now that I can't even try to grow them all like I used to.  On the other hand, hostas are comparatively cheap and plentiful now.  I can remember when it took me years to get my hands on the new varieties, even if I was willing to pay the high prices.  You had to know somebody and you had to pay big bucks.  Unfortunately, low prices and easy availability have taken some of the fun out of the chase.  Part of the fun of
collecting anything is in the quest.  If all the new stuff is easy to get and cheap enough that everyone has it, it takes some of the fun out of it for me.  I want something you don't have.

Some of us buy hostas because they look great in the garden, and if that's your only purpose, I don't see any reason to get stuck with many bad plants if you do your homework.   But if you are a collector, then you just have to live with it.

Chick