Re: GE (Great Expectations)- SUPERB

  • Subject: Re: GE (Great Expectations)- SUPERB
  • From: Linda <falkora@smig.net>
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 09:14:10 -0500

Title: Re: GE (Great Expectations)- SUPERB
        Great Expectation fans.
I was about ready to give up on mine, acquired in 1995, but always try moving it to a new location first!  Here are my notes on GE:  5 leaves in '96, 5 leaves in '97, 6 leaves in '98!!
moved to east side of cottonwood bed 5/16/99 (needs more sun?)...doing better...10 leaves by fall.    2000 - 3 div. ,  # leaves ?
This spring it has 6 divisions; the leaves are still unfurling but it's already about 2 ft. across, and looking very impressive.  I wonder if the answer isn't more with light and water than soil.  It had much better soil in its previous location, dry shade where I didn't always water often enough, or quantity enough.  Now  it gets more light and is closer to the spigot, and my view, and I water the cottonwood bed faithfully because I HAVE TO!!
Regarding width of blue/green on the edges of the leaves...that seems to vary a lot from leaf to leaf.  On one leaf the gold will come almost to the edge on one side with more blue on the other...every leaf is different.
I bought a second plant when I thought the first one wasn't going to turn out, the same time as I moved #1.  I'm going to have to move #2 as it's getting too big where I have it!
....as soon as I can decide on a good new location.  I have lots of shade but not very much  with morning sun, afternoon shade!
Linda Kofstad
who lives amidst  Minnesota's best corn fields